Subject: Wax tablets

Wax tablets

From: Stephen Koob <koobsp<-at->
Date: Wednesday, April 15, 2009
Karin Adriansson <karin.adriansson [at] passagen__se> writes

>I am writing my bachelor thesis on conservation at the University of
>Gothenburg in Sweden, on the conservation of wax tablets, and turn
>to the Conservation DistList for help in finding how the
>conservation of wooden wax tablets has been carried out through the
>years in different countries.

Robert Payton published an article on the conservation of a wax
tablet:

    Payton, R., "The Uluburun Writing Board Set", Anatolian Studies, Vol
    XLI, 1991, pp. 99-105, and Plates XVII-XVIII.

He describes the conservation treatment, but states that "no wax was
surviving".

Stephen Koob
Conservator
The Corning Museum of Glass