Subject: Wax tablets

Wax tablets

From: Karin Adriansson <karin.adriansson<-at->
Date: Tuesday, April 7, 2009
I am writing my bachelor thesis on conservation at the University of
Gothenburg in Sweden, on the conservation of wax tablets, and turn
to the Conservation DistList for help in finding how the
conservation of wooden wax tablets has been carried out through the
years in different countries.

My interest in wax tablets arose during my internship, at the Turku
Provincial Museum in Finland, in the fall of 2008. At their
conservation department they have a number of wooden wax tablets
recovered from archaeological excavations in the city. Because there
is still wax on the tablets questions have risen about which method
to use to preserve the wax intact. This got me interested in doing a
study of different conservation techniques that have been carried
out. I would be grateful for information related to this.

Karin Adriansson
Conservation student
University of Gothenburg

                  Distributed: Sunday, April 12, 2009