Subject: Wallpaper

Wallpaper

From: Jude Fraser <jafraser<-at->
Date: Tuesday, April 7, 2009
We have been asked to advise the owner of an historic house who
wants to paint over original wallpaper on a dado, of what might be
an appropriate isolating layer. Installing a false wall is not an
option. We have been thinking about an initial layer of thin tissue
applied with starch paste followed by a layer of a heavier weight
paper that will be reasonably resistant to penetration by an acrylic
paint. I am interested to hear of conservators thoughts and ideas on
this approach and any suggestions of papers that might be
appropriate.

Jude Fraser
Grimwade Conservator
The Centre for Cultural Materials Conservation
The University of Melbourne

                  Distributed: Sunday, April 12, 2009