Subject: Tyvek

Tyvek

From: Samantha de van Geer <sam.vandegeer<-at->
Date: Friday, April 10, 2009
I have recently discovered that Tyvek with an antistatic coating is
not inert and can damage metal and organics.  I've also heard on the
grapevine that it is not as breathable as we think.  Is this true?
Does this mean that Tyvek is no longer being used with costume?

I would be grateful for any advice on alternative materials for
costume covers or for an address of a supplier for Tyvek on the roll
without the antistatic coating.

Sam van de Geer
Museums Object Conservator
Oxfordshire County Council