Subject: Sod in museum gallery

Sod in museum gallery

From: Eric Hammarberg <ehammarberg<-at->
Date: Wednesday, April 8, 2009
Sofia Galarza Liu <reina [at] ku__edu> writes

>Have any of you been involved with the installation of dirt or sod
>in a gallery?  What was involved as far as preparations and cleanup?
>What special precautions should be taken?

I received a cross post of your question regarding sod. Here in NY
is the permanent installation of Walter De Maria's "Earth Room" in
place since 1980. They would be a good long-term resource.

Thornton Tomasetti, the company I work for, has done structural and
mechanical engineering for a number of museums and have an office in
Kansas City. Initially I would suggest that yes, there will be a
large increase in the amount of moisture in the air which may over
run your HVAC system's ability to maintain a museum quality
environment. Beyond that it would be necessary to know the layout of
the museum, the HVAC system performance, indoor environmental needs,
etc. It would appear that, if you are going to let the sod die,
"most" of the issues will decrease as time goes by.

Bottom line, some more information is suggested. We would be happy
to assist. Please let me know if you are interested. Thanks,

Eric Hammarberg, Assoc. AIA
Vice President
Thornton Tomasetti
51 Madison Avenue