Subject: Survey on green conservation lab practices

Survey on green conservation lab practices

From: Dana Goodburn-Brown <danagb<-at->
Date: Saturday, April 4, 2009
    author.

I am a freelance archaeological conservator and part time MSc
student at UCL, Centre for Sustainable Heritage. In preparation for
a paper I am co-presenting at the 'Going Green' conference at the
British Museum later this month, and as a prelude to my Masters
Report research: I am seeking opinions from practicing conservators
about ways they are improving their 'Carbon footprint' and/or
environmental impact for conservation treatments. And/or what areas
they specifically would like information on, so that they can
improve the sustainability of conservation practice. (Specifically
referring to treatments rather than storage/display issues, although
packaging considerations are included.) On-site conservation
treatments as well as laboratory work are being considered.

If possible, please send your responses to the following questions
by April 20, 2009. If you wish to be anonymous, please say so.

    1.  Which specific areas of conservation treatments/'lab'
        practice would you like information on?
        (Please name up to 3, eg. embodied energies in material
        used, calculating carbon footprints, recycling solvents,
        examples of good practice )

    2.  What measures are you or your colleagues taking to minimize
        consumption of lab materials and/or energy? (e.g. practical
        solutions, recycling, new products, etc)

    3.  Does your lab or host institution have any sort of
        environmental policy?

    4.  Do you think a site such as 'Freecycle for the museum
        community' would be useful to set up? Or do you know of
        something like Freecycle which already exists for recycling
        museum/conservation materials?

Please email your response to: d.goodburn-brown<-at->ucl<.>ac<.>uk

                   Distributed: Monday, April 6, 2009