Subject: Storing paper collections

Storing paper collections

From: Peter Juga <peter.juga<-at->
Date: Monday, March 30, 2009
Aella Diamantopoulos <adiamantopoulos [at] pafa__org> writes

>We are in the process of cataloging and storing a large paper
>collection. I am interested in finding out from museums and other
>organizations who have a conservator and registrar and possibly
>preparator(s), who from these three departments would be responsible
>for ordering the acid-free storage boxes for this project (or other
>department if yours differs)?

In Seven Stories we have conservator, archivist and collection
officer. We use standard size of the boxes (foolscap-ish for
archives and two different sizes for artwork storage) what makes it
easier to order. It's usually conservator's responsibility but also
archivist or collection officer might place an order while
conservator is away, especially when new large acquisition is coming
in so can be transported already in appropriate boxes. Hope it
helps,

Peter Juga
Conservator
Seven Stories