Subject: Bubble wrap

Bubble wrap

From: Hans-Christoph von Imhoff <xoph.von.imhoff<-at->
Date: Thursday, March 26, 2009
Seoyoung Kim <seoyoung.kim [at] wallacecollection__org> writes

>Traces of bubble dots can appear on pretty much any surface, in
>particular on smooth/shiny surface. It is, in fact, very difficult
>to remove dots once they appear. But bubble wrap is relatively cheap
>and effective packing material in many ways. It provides a good
>cushioning from shock and support. When I pack objects with bubble
>wrap I usually provide an interlayer with tissue paper (preferably
>acid-free). But if I can't use interlayer and have to use bubble
>wrap on its own anyhow, I place bubble side outward (flat side
>facing down to objects) to minimise dots developing. I've found
>brown packing tape is easier to use on bubble wrap than masking
>tape.

I agree with all what Seoyoung writes--but not all bubble pack is
only one-sided flat; some have a paper layer attached to the flat
side and the bubbles on the the other; another is flat both sides
and stronger. I consider the oneside flat bubble pack with paper on
the flat side the most convenient, because only then bubble pack is
neutralised towards the object *and* the bubbles are free to take
the impact and thus take or reduce whatever impact on the object and
protect in case of an "accident" of any kind. If bubble wrap is
wrapped with the bubbles on the inside--towards the object, the
impact is nevertheless reaching the object, because the flat side is
strong plastic and, as an area around the actual impact spot, is put
under pressure as well, thus it transfers some of the impact on the
object.  I have many times seen bubble pack used the wrong way
round.

Hans-Christoph von Imhoff
Strada principale 30
CH 7603 Vicosoprano / GR