Subject: Questionnaire on using gelatine in paper Repair

Questionnaire on using gelatine in paper Repair

From: Brannah Mackenzie <brannah<-at->
Date: Friday, March 27, 2009
    author.

I am a book conservation student at West Dean College currently
undertaking research for an MA in Conservation Studies.  My research
project involves using gelatine as an adhesive for paper repair when
there is iron gall ink present and comparing different methods of
preparing and applying the gelatine.  As part of my initial research
I am undertaking a survey of conservators to see what methods are
currently in use.  I would be grateful if you could spare a few
minutes of your time to fill in the following questionnaire and send
it to brannah<-at->hotmail<.>co<.>uk.

    1.  Name:
    2.  Institution / Company / Employer:
    3.  Country in which you are working:
    4.  Do you / have you used gelatine as an adhesive for repairing
        paper?
    5.  Why did you choose to use gelatine as an adhesive?
    6.  If you have used gelatine as an adhesive what gelatine did
        you use?
        (Please include the following details if known)

            Origin (e.g. bovine):
            Type (i.e. A, B):
            Bloom strength:
            Form (e.g. leaf, granulated, powdered):
            Supplier:

    7.  What methods of preparation of the gelatine did you try?
    8.  What methods of application of the gelatine did you try?
    9.  Which methods did you find worked best?
    10.  Which methods did you find worked least well?
    11. Did you encounter any difficulties when using gelatine as
        an adhesive?
    12. May I contact you again should any further questions arise
        as a result of the survey?

Brannah Mackenzie
Books Programme
West Dean College