Subject: Storing cosmetics and toiletries

Storing cosmetics and toiletries

From: Evangelia Kyriazi <evangelia_kyriazi<-at->
Date: Thursday, March 26, 2009
Tonya Outtram <058035200 [at] students__lincoln__ac__uk> writes

>I am an MA Conservation student, and my dissertation/research
>project topic concerns the storage of cosmetics and toiletries in
>museum collections.  There seems to be very little previous research
>on this subject--does anyone know of any?

It seems that some research has been done on the investigation and
identification of ancient cosmetics. I searched some publications
for you, and I found some papers you might find useful.

    Elsa Van Elslande, Vincent Guerineau, Vincent Thirioux,
    Ghislaine Richard, Pascale Richardin, Olivier Laprevote, Georges
    Hussler and Philippe Walter.
    "Analysis of ancient Greco-Roman cosmetic materials using laser
    desorption ionization and electrospray ionization mass
    spectrometry" in Analytical and Bioanalytical Chemistry, Volume
    390, Number 7 / April, 2008

    A. Huq, P.W. Stephens, N. Ayed, H. Binous, L. Burgio, R.J.H.
    Clark and E. Pantos.
    "Combined technique analysis of the composition of Punic make-up
    materials", in Applied Physics A: Materials Science &
    Processing, Volume 83, Number 2 / May, 2006

    E. Welcomme, P. Walter, E. van Elslande and G. Tsoucaris.
    "Investigation of white pigments used as make-up during the
    Greco-Roman period" in Applied Physics A: Materials Science &
    Processing, Volume 83, Number 4 / June, 2006

    C. Deeb, P. Walter, J. Castaing, P. Penhoud, P. Veyssiere.
    "Transmission Electron Microscopy (TEM) investigations of
    ancient Egyptian cosmetic powders" in Applied Physics A 79,
    393-396 (2004) Materials Science & Processing Applied Physics

Evangelia Kyriazi
Natural History Museum of the Lesvos Petrified Forest

                  Distributed: Friday, March 27, 2009