Subject: Stains on marble

Stains on marble

From: Ben Hodgetts <antiquesman<-at->
Date: Sunday, March 15, 2009
Eric Miller <eric.g.miller [at] btinternet__com> writes

>We are currently cleaning a marble fireplace that has yellow/brown
>tar stains that do not respond to our attempts at removal. Laser
>cleaning works but it turns the marble yellow. (A 1999 DistList
>entry affirms Synperonic N, but this is no longer available.) Any
>suggestions?

We have found  that by using a poultice of whiting with hydrogen
peroxide, left over the area, it will gradually draw the stain out,
though constant checking needs to take place. Obviously this is for
white based marble

Ben Hodgetts
Conservator

                 Distributed: Wednesday, March 25, 2009