Subject: Stains on marble

Stains on marble

From: Amelie de Torres-Methivier <amelie.methivier<-at->
Date: Thursday, March 12, 2009
Eric Miller <eric.g.miller [at] btinternet__com> writes

>We are currently cleaning a marble fireplace that has yellow/brown
>tar stains that do not respond to our attempts at removal. Laser
>cleaning works but it turns the marble yellow. (A 1999 DistList
>entry affirms Synperonic N, but this is no longer available.) Any
>suggestions?

I would advise you to try triammonium citrate (aqueous solution at
2% to begin) in cellulose poulticing. It has been used to clean
paintings to remove dirt containing candle soot. And let us know...

Amelie Methivier
Conservation Restauration de sculptures
53 rue Traversiere
75012 Paris