Subject: Brass

Brass

From: Seoyoung Kim <seoyoung.kim<-at->
Date: Thursday, March 5, 2009
Samantha de van Geer <sam.vandegeer [at] oxfordshire__gov__uk>
writes

>I am wondering if anyone can advise me on the more appropriate
>conservation materials for cleaning Social History post-18th century
>brass. ...

Mark Erdmann <erdmannmark [at] yahoo__com> responded

>... I have found Silvo polish wadding to be effective,
>as it polishes like Brasso but without the ammonia ...

According to its Material Safety Data Sheet, Silvo polish wadding
also contains ammonium hydroxide (1-2%) although it is less than
Brasso Metal Polish (5-10%) and Brasso Metal Polish Wadding (1-5%).
All products are manufactured by Reckitt Benckiser.

Seoyoung Kim
Arms, Armour and Metalwork Conservator
The Wallace Collection, London

                 Distributed: Wednesday, March 11, 2009