Subject: AIC certification plan voting results

AIC certification plan voting results

From: Eryl Wentworth <ewentworth<-at->
Date: Friday, March 6, 2009
The AIC Board of Directors announces the results of the member vote
on AIC implementing a certification program for conservators.

The vote failed by:

    58.6% opposed
    41.4% in favor

73% of eligible voters cast a vote.

In keeping with the AIC Board decision concerning the vote, AIC will
now end all work on developing a certification program for the
foreseeable future.

We thank the many volunteers, especially the Certification
Implementation Task Force, for the countless hours given to AIC and
the desire to advance the field of conservation. Although AIC
members voted not to go forward with the proposed certification
program, you have greatly enriched our profession with the research
and discussion that went into analysis of numerous certification
models and issues over the years.  We have added to the body of
knowledge of conservation and moved closer to a shared understanding
of what it means to be a conservator.

Please be respectful of those who may have voted differently than
you. Everyone who voted believed that they were acting in the best
interests of the profession.

Going forward, AIC's leadership will continue to strengthen the
organization, including by increasing our marketing efforts in
support of conservation and conservators. There have been many
suggestions put forward by members that are worthy of study and
consideration.  It will take time to address these ideas. We will
seek your views, open dialogs, and keep everyone informed along the
way.

Thank you to all of you who voted and took an active role in the
debate.

Sincerely,

AIC Board of Directors

                 Distributed: Wednesday, March 11, 2009