Subject: Chalk drawings

Chalk drawings

From: David Keany <david_keany<-at->
Date: Monday, March 2, 2009
Robert Smith <member [at] basiliscoe__fsnet__co__uk> writes

>Does anyone have experience of the conservation of chalk drawings on
>blackboards? ...

Chalk seems to stay in place until it gets smudged, so careful
storage is most important. Some coloured chalk can fade badly as
they are not designed for permanence. I have tried fixatives on my
own work and was disappointed by the saturation of the dusty black
background. The chalk marks became less intense as well. I have
condition reported a 1942 chalk drawing on "Caneite" (a soft fiber
board) and it was in remarkably good condition, only protected by a
stout frame.

David Keany
Conservator of paintings,
Australian War Memorial