Subject: Sources for archival supplies in Middle East sought

Sources for archival supplies in Middle East sought

From: Neill McManus <mpc.post<-at->
Date: Friday, February 27, 2009
Susan L. Maltby <susan.maltby [at] utoronto__ca> writes

>Does anyone have a supplier for archival supplies in the Middle
>East?

For what country(s) exactly do you need the supplier information?
We're located in Israel, I can provide you with Israeli
manufacturers of:

    polyester film
    closed cell polyethylene foam
    polypropylene containers and bags
    double faced, corrugated, polycarbonate sheets
    Japanese paper (there is a person here that grows his own Kozo
    and makes traditional Japanese paper, also Western cotton and
    linen paper)
    some adhesives

Also Israeli importers of:

    mount board
    acid free card and paper
    book cloth
    environmental monitoring equipment

Anything more specialized we have to import directly from abroad
with all the additional costs.

Now there are some obvious trade restrictions with Israel, but you'd
be ok for Egypt, Jordan, Turkey and the West Bank. I think though
that Turkey has a quite established network of suppliers and it is
in close proximity with Europe. Otherwise you should check what is
available in each country with your local contact, it is surprising
how much material and equipment you can find produced locally for
different industry. Paper and paper related material, card,
cardboard of conservation quality is often the hardest to find and
has to be imported.

Any material you source locally should of course be tested for
stability, like any other material no matter what the country of
origin.

Hope this helps, get in touch with me directly if you need more
specific details about the suppliers.

Neill McManus
McManus Paper Conservation
25 Haprachim St.