Subject: Brass

Brass

From: Samantha de van Geer <sam.vandegeer<-at->
Date: Sunday, February 15, 2009
I am wondering if anyone can advise me on the more appropriate
conservation materials for cleaning Social History post-18th century
brass.  We have prelim, brasso, biox, Solvol Autosol and Rubin Brite
in our conservation cupboards.  I know that Prelim is safe to use
but is not effective on very badly tarnished and corroded surfaces.
Can anyone advice me whether any of the other materials we have are
appropriate and whether there is anything which we should be using
that I have not listed. I would also like to know if there are any
up to date articles out there on this matter.

Sam van de Geer
Museums Object Conservator
Oxfordshire County Council
Social and Community Services
Cultural and Adult Learning Services
Museums Resource Centre
Cotswold Dene
Standlake
Witney
Oxon OX29 7QG
+44 1865 300937

                Distributed: Saturday, February 21, 2009