Subject: Water purification systems

Water purification systems

From: Melissa Potter <melissa_potter<-at->
Date: Monday, February 9, 2009
We are looking into a new water filtration system for washing paper.
I am interested to know about others' experiences with recently (or
not so recently) purchased systems.

Our estimate of water usage is that it will be rather low,
infrequent and very occasionally punctuated with higher usage
(estimated at a maximum of 100-120 gallons/day or 378-454 L/day).
Our feed water will be Toronto tap water.  One priority is that the
system be as low cost as possible to maintain in the long term.

A reverse osmosis system with 5 micron pre sediment and carbon
filters plus a storage tank of 120 gallons has been recommended.  I
am concerned about the possibility for bacterial growth in the
storage tank, even with flushing the system once a week.

Is anyone willing to comment of their experiences with RO systems?
Was bacterial growth in the storage tank problematic?

Is anyone willing to share what system they have recently purchased,
and their satisfaction with it?

Does anyone know what their actual water volume per day or week
usage is?

Melissa Potter
Conservator, Works on Paper
Art Gallery of Ontario