Subject: U.S. Economic stimulus package and museums

U.S. Economic stimulus package and museums

From: Christopher Augerson <chris<-at->
Date: Thursday, February 12, 2009
Senator Tom Coburn of Oklahoma won an important battle.  And we
lost.  None of the U. S. economic stimulus package will help
museums, parks, zoos, art centers or theaters, with the passage of
his amendment 175 (73 to 23):

    <URL:http://congressmatters.com/
        story/2009/2/6/234220/1591/432/579>

Coburn's mission against museums in particular has a history, as his
posting of a document he issued in April 2006 indicates:

    <URL:http://coburn.senate.gov/
        ffm/index.cfm?FuseAction=Hearings.Home&ContentRecord_id=
        6b892b76-802a-23ad-4762-fa337afda040&Issue_id=>

Coburn defends his attacks on museums and arts agencies saying that
fiscal issues are moral ones, as reported by Hannah Rosin of the
Washington Post (Dec 12, 2004). "It is evil to spend your kids'
money, spend away their future," he says about the ballooning
deficit. "It is good to be frugal. This is good and evil, black and
white. Stealing from your kids is wrong. I don't care who you are."

    <URL:http://coburn.senate.gov/
        ffm/index.cfm?FuseAction=LatestNews.NewsStories&
        ContentRecord_id=bf9b9c6d-d34b-4606-a6ba-261fc386f996&
        Issue_id=>

    **** Moderator's comments: The above URLs have been wrapped for
    email. There should be no newlines.

But another look at Coburn's posting of April 2006 makes me wonder
whether the ape and the dinosaur bones in his graphics symbolize
more than the not-for-profit institutions they represent. Could they
signify the theory of evolution, and do his religious beliefs put
him against such institutions as might promulgate the theory?
Coburn's fundamentalist religious extremism is indicated by his
previous statements, such as "I favor the death penalty for
abortionists," and "the gay community is the greatest threat to our
freedom we face today," as quoted by Hannah Rosin in the article
cited above.

In any case, museums are more than exhibits of old bones.  And money
is not the only resource worth preserving.  So too is our material
and cultural heritage.  Should you agree with these sentiments,
please write your Senator to thank them for standing against the
amendment if they are on the following list of those who did: Akaka
(D-HI), Boxer (D-CA), Burris (D-IL), Dodd (D-CT), Durbin (D-IL),
Gillibrand (D-NY), Hagan (D-NC), Harkin (D-IA), Inouye (D-HI),
Kaufman (D-DE), Kerry (D-MA), Landrieu (D-LA), Lautenberg (D-NJ),
Leahy (D-VT), Levin (D-MI), Lieberman (CFL-CT), Menendez (D-NJ),
Reed (D-RI), Reid (D-NV), Rockefeller (D-WV), Sanders (I-VT),
Shaheen (D-NH), Webb (D-VA), Whitehouse (D-RI).  And if they are not
on this list, and you share my feelings, please let your senators
know of your disappointment on this vote.

You might remind them that even Coburn's electorate in Oklahoma
voted for the Sam Noble Oklahoma Museum of Natural History in a bond
referendum that led to its building:

  <URL:http://www.heritagepreservation.org/Update/2004/04suaic.htm>

                 Distributed: Friday, February 13, 2009