Subject: Effect of UV film on historical glass

Effect of UV film on historical glass

From: Rob Thomson <rob<-at->
Date: Sunday, February 8, 2009
Alison Foster <alison [at] hirst-conservation__com> writes

>I wonder if anyone has had experience of applying (and more
>importantly removing) UV film from historical glass? I am trying to
>discover what the adhesive is that sticks the film to glass, and
>what might be used to remove it, to identify if it would be
>appropriate to use. Any comments or suggestions would be very
>welcome.

I have taken UV film off small panes of glass held in lead cames. I
used a steam cleaner to loosen the film to a point that it peeled
off quite easily. There was some sticky residue on the glass that
came off with a few wipes of acetone / IMS mix.

Rob Thomson
Conservator
Edinburgh

                 Distributed: Friday, February 13, 2009