Subject: Storing coins

Storing coins

From: Wyatt Yeager <weyeager<-at->
Date: Monday, February 9, 2009
Eveline van Breemen <evelinevanbreemen [at] googlemail__com> writes

>We are looking for a new way of storing coins and have found a
>fairly cheap option at a metal detectorist website. Does anybody
>have any experience with these trays? Are they acceptable for museum
>storage or would it be wiser to go with tested materials? ...

The key to storing coins is using a non PVC flip or acid free liner.
The best way I have found to store coins is using the non PVC flips
(Mylar based) such as the ones found here:

    <URL:http://www.wizardcoinsupply.com/product/saflips-2x2.html>

The company Saflip makes the better brand and comes in various sizes
for the larger coins such as the European Thalers.

The flip comes with an acid free piece of paper that can be written
upon for identification and slides into the empty pocket with the
coin. The coins can be fitted perfectly in a coin box:

    <URL:http://www.wizardcoinsupply.com/products/2x2-coin-boxes/>

Put a little desiccant bag in the box and you will be equipped
cheaply for years of problem free storage. With metal numismatics
you really have to pay attention to your humidity levels and air
quality.

Wyatt Yeager

                 Distributed: Friday, February 13, 2009