Subject: Testing gloves and silver

Testing gloves and silver

From: Virginia Costa <virginia.costa<-at->
Date: Sunday, February 8, 2009
William Hoffman <6wh [at] queensu__ca> writes

>I am a Queen's University conservation student who is conducting a
>research project on effects that various types of gloves used in
>conservation have on silver objects. ...

I have two suggestions:

Take a look at the paper "Handschoenen getest voor het hanteren van
collecties", from A. Brokerhof, S. de Groot, H. Baija, CR 2004
(ICN,Amsterdam)

Evaluate your silver coupons not only visually, but using
electrochemical reduction, that can give information about the type
of silver compound formed  as well as its amount (= rate). For more
details about the possibilities of the technique, see: "Impact of
environmental conditions on metallic artefacts from the treasure
rooms of Reims Cathedral", V. Costa et al, in Heritage, Weathering
and Conservation, Fort et al (eds); Taylor and Francis Group,
London, 2006,  ISBN 0-415-41272-2.

I can help you doing some experiments, if necessary.

Virginia Costa
Conservation Scientist

                 Distributed: Friday, February 13, 2009