Subject: Position at National Museums Scotland

Position at National Museums Scotland

From: Helene Telford <h.telford<-at->
Date: Tuesday, February 3, 2009
Assistant Conservator, Technology
National Museums Scotland

UKP19,594 - UKP23,710 per annum (under review) plus membership of
Civil Service pension scheme

We are seeking a highly practical conservator with demonstrated
hands-on engineering skills, to join our Engineering and Furniture
Conservation team in supporting the full appreciation and
accessibility of objects from our collections, particularly work on
the technology artefacts.

Ideally, we expect a recognised relevant professional qualification
in conservation, or equivalent from practical training. However,
given the variety of training routes in this area, your background
could be from a relevant engineering/technology discipline or
apprenticeship, together with some experience in conservation.

As well as excellent hand and machine skills, you will have a good
understanding of materials and treatments, and will be able to show
evidence of expanding your knowledge of these. Aware of professional
issues and best practice, you will be adept at problem solving, able
to manage your time and work, alone or with others, to meet
deadlines, and will have good communication and ICT skills.

We are seeking a self-motivated person, who can make a real
contribution to the conservation of the technology collections,
which encompass: industrial, steam, transport, agricultural,
aviation and scientific instrument artefacts. A specific area of
work initially will be the conservation of technology artefacts for
the Royal Museum Project.

This post will involve occasional working at heights and a degree of
manual handling. You may undertake work at any of the National
Museums sites and a driving licence is essential.

Details of this post and of all our vacancies can be viewed on

    <URL:http://www.nms.ac.uk>

For further information and an application pack, please visit
<URL:http://www.nms.ac.uk>, telephone +44 131 247 4094 (answerphone)
or email applications<-at->nms<.>ac<.>uk, stating reference NMS09/09.

Closing date for completed applications is Friday 6 March 2009.

Helene Telford
Human Resources Manager
National Museums Scotland
Chambers Street