Subject: Chartex

Chartex

From: Suzy Morgan <suzyemail<-at->
Date: Thursday, February 5, 2009
I am currently researching the backing cloth material known as
"Chartex", which was produced by Seal Products, Inc. from about 1938
to 1988.  Chartex is most identifiable by it's waxy feel--it's a
cotton backing cloth permeated with a thermoactive adhesive.
According to the manufacturer, it's supposed to be reversible, but I
have had little personal experience treating objects backed with
Chartex.  I would like to know what experiences others have had
treating Chartex-backed objects, particularly any removal methods
you have tried (even if they were unsuccessful) and also what types
of objects you've seen backed with it, and their condition.

If you are interested in my current findings regarding Chartex,
please feel free to visit my research blog:

    <URL:http://suzymorgan.wordpress.com>

Suzy Morgan
Preservation Department Intern
Northwestern University Library, Evanston, IL

                 Distributed: Sunday, February 8, 2009