Subject: Exhibition on tensioned fabrics in art and architecture

Exhibition on tensioned fabrics in art and architecture

From: Christina Young <christina.young<-at->
Date: Friday, January 30, 2009
Tensioned fabrics in art and architecture
Embankment Galleries
Somerset House
Strand, London

Exhibition Opens    4-18 March 2009
Opening Hours:      10am - 6pm Mon-Sun

Understanding fabric behaviour in tension is crucial to two
disciplines: the conservation of paintings, and the design of
architectural enclosures. This exhibition presents a unique
multi-disciplinary study of fabrics used in these two applications.
It is the work of researchers from the Department of Conservation
and Technology at The Courtauld Institute of Art, and the School of
Engineering at the University of Warwick.

The Courtauld has conducted biaxial mechanical testing, for a
variety of loading regimes and environmental conditions. Tensioned
fabric is also being studied as a medium for sculpturing
architectural enclosures. Warwick has developed of a computer
simulation to predict the strains induced in fabrics on a stretcher.
This includes the joints, staples, friction and folds. The Courtauld
has tested the accuracy of the model, on a realistic scale, using
full field 3D Electronic Speckle Pattern Interferometer (ESPI)
measurements of the stress/strain fields of paintings.

We have evaluated modern fabrics for the structural conservation of
easel paintings and as artists' canvas. We are revisited the
specification requirements of canvas fabrics to include aesthetic as
well as physical requirements. This work has been done in
consultation with conservators and artists, and working with fabric
manufacturers.  From this research we have been able to recommend
suitable fabrics for use in different scenarios, for both
conservators and artists.

For more details see

    <URL:http://www.courtauld.ac.uk/conservation-easel/canvas/>

Dr Christina Young