Subject: Testing gloves and silver

Testing gloves and silver

From: Vanessa Wiggin <vanessa<-at->
Date: Thursday, January 22, 2009
William Hoffman <6wh [at] queensu__ca> writes

>I am a Queen's University conservation student who is conducting a
>research project on effects that various types of gloves used in
>conservation have on silver objects. ...

The question of nitrile gloves and silver has been discussed
previously on the DistList.  It is my understanding that the colour
is not so important as whether the gloves have an additional coating
or not.  This coating helps to seal in the chlorides from
manufacture, at least this is what I was told by my supplier.  I use
Ansell Nitratex  for this reason, please let me know if you would
like a pair.  I would be very interested to read your results.

Vanessa Wiggin
Director of Conservation
ArtWorks Conservation (Australia)
+61 8 9594 2420