Subject: Testing gloves and silver

Testing gloves and silver

From: Marsha Sirven <marsha.sirven<-at->
Date: Monday, January 19, 2009
William Hoffman <6wh [at] queensu__ca> writes

>I am a Queen's University conservation student who is conducting a
>research project on effects that various types of gloves used in
>conservation have on silver objects. ...

I am working for the Atelier de Restauration et de Conservation des
Photographies de la ville de Paris (France) and so, as we work for
all the photographic collections depending of the city of Paris we
work with silver.

We use 2 kinds of nitrile gloves, blue and purple's one:

The blue ones are from UNIK, a brand name of Singer freres
<URL:http://www.singer.fr>

The purple ones are from Kimberly-Clark, "Purple nitrile Powder-free
Exam Gloves" ref 52002M <URL:http://www.kchealthcare.com>

With these two kinds of gloves, we have seen a yellowing. It seems
to us that it is in relation with silver jewellery and that it
affects gloves, but we have doubts about pictures.

I hope that you will find some useful answer with your research.

If you don't know the gloves we use and you need a pair, tell me and
I can send it to you.  Good luck (p.s. how could we know your
conclusions?)

Marsha Sirven
Restauratrice du Patrimoine
Atelier de Restauration et de Conservation des
    Photographies de la ville de Paris
5-7, rue de Fourcy
75004 Paris
+33 0144618120
Fax: +33 0144618121

                Distributed: Wednesday, January 21, 2009