Subject: Phthalocyanine blue

Phthalocyanine blue

From: Catherine Defeyt <defeyt.catherine<-at->
Date: Thursday, January 15, 2009
I have started a PhD in sciences of art and, more particularly, I am
interested in problems of restoration of contemporary paintings with
phthalocyanine blue. Its non-stabilised alpha form is subjected to
flocculation and to crystallisation, what can cause undesirable
optic modifications, as a loss of surface coverage and a sliding of
shade towards the green. These phenomena are observed more
particularly in presence of aromatic hydrocarbons. And yet, some of
the products used in restoration contain this type of solvent. I
search, on one hand, to identify paintings including this
non-stabilised form; on the other hand I am also interested in all
campaigns of conservation-restoration led before (or who should be
shortly) on contemporary paintings with phthalocyanine. Any
information on this subject is welcome.

Please contact

    Catherine Defeyt
    University of Liege IPNAS-CEA
    Sart Tilman B15
    Universite de Liege
    B-4000 Liege
    Belgium
    +32 4 366 36 39
    catherine.defeyt<-at->student<.>ulg<.>ac<.>be (until january 30, 2009) or
    catherine.defeyt<-at->ulg<.>ac<.>be, (after january 30, 2009)

                 Distributed: Sunday, January 18, 2009