Subject: Testing gloves and silver

Testing gloves and silver

From: William Hoffman <6wh<-at->
Date: Friday, January 16, 2009
I am a Queen's University conservation student who is conducting a
research project on effects that various types of gloves used in
conservation have on silver objects. I will be looking at three
types of nitrile (three colors: purple, blue, green), vinyl, latex,
and cotton (plain and rubber coated) gloves. I plan on using four
methods of testing to determine primarily if sulfides and chlorides
are present in the glove types and secondly if it is possible for
the gloves to directly cause tarnishing or damage to silver objects.
These methods include an Oddy test (using pure and sterling silver,
and modified version to allow for direct contact), silver nitrate
test, sodium azide test, and Beilstein test.

I was initially planning on arbitrarily selecting brands that are
found in conservation material catalogues, but it seems more
appropriate to go directly to those who use gloves daily, the
conservation community. So, I would like to know what brand of
gloves you use to handle silver objects and if you have had any
problems with a particular brand.

>From the responses I receive, I will compile a list and select the
brands for sampling that are the most used. I am also willing to
look at a particular glove brand that you are using if you send a
pair to me (please contact me first). I would greatly appreciate
comments and suggestions, so please feel free to contact me.

William Hoffman
Queen's University
Art Conservation Program
15 Bader Lane