Subject: Low VOC paints for exhibit cases

Low VOC paints for exhibit cases

From: Dee Stubbs-Lee <dee.stubbs-lee<-at->
Date: Friday, January 16, 2009
As with many museums, our ambitious exhibits schedule means that we
rarely have the option  of waiting the recommended several months
(or even weeks) for freshly painted exhibits cases to fully cure and
offgas before installing artifacts. Now that the low-VOC latex
paints are becoming commonly available in local hardware stores, I
wonder if anyone can comment on their relative advantages and
disadvantages for use in exhibit case preparation on shorter
timelines. Because of the higher cost of these paints, I need
convincing evidence of improved collections safety in order to
justify the expenditure to management.

Dee Stubbs-Lee
Conservator,
The New Brunswick Museum