Subject: Copper in starch paste

Copper in starch paste

From: Mark Allen <mark_allen>
Date: Wednesday, December 19, 2007
Silvia Oliveira Sequeira <s.o.sequeira [at] gmail__com> writes

>In the literature we have not found any information about the
>combination of starch paste with copper. We thought maybe it was
>some insecticide or fungicide compound added to this bio-susceptible
>glue, but there is nothing on this subject in the articles we have
>found. Does anyone know anything about this starch paste/copper
>combination?

There are references to fungicides added to starch paste in the
publication The conservation of books and documents by WH Langwell
1957, There are two substances mentioned that could be the cause of
the green colour: copper naphthenate or copper oxinate.

Mark Allen, Conservator
Flintshire Record Office

               Distributed: Wednesday, December 19, 2007