Subject: Publication on calcium phytate treatment

Publication on calcium phytate treatment

From: Cor Mulders <informatiecentrum>
Date: Monday, December 10, 2007
The following is posted on behalf of Birgit Reissland and Han
Neevel:

Several international projects recently confirmed that the combined
calcium phytate / calcium bicarbonate treatment, developed by H.
Neevel and B. Reissland (ICN - Netherlands Institute for Cultural
Heritage, Amsterdam), is effective to delay the ink corrosion
process while involving just minimal side effects.  However,
conservators feel uncertain to actually apply this treatment method.
Typical questions arising are: Can I prepare the treatment solutions
in my workshop? Where can I purchase the necessary chemicals? What
is the precise sequence of treatment steps?

Answers can now be found in a thoroughly illustrated, hands-on
description of the calcium-phytate / calcium-bicarbonate method.  To
allow easy access to the information, step-by step instructions with
images of all recommended test- and treatment procedures are given
in PDF-format.  References for further reading are included.  Birgit
Reissland (ICN, Amsterdam), Karin Scheper (University Library
Leiden/NL) and Sabine Fleischer (Broekens and Fleischer Book and
Paper Conservation, Nijmegen/NL) joined forces and published this
information on the Ink Corrosion Website, chapter: conservation,
subchapter: ca-phytate method:
<URL:http://www.knaw.nl/ecpa/ink/CaPhytate.html>.

For information contact:

    Birgit Reissland
    Netherlands Institute for Cultural Heritage
    Research Department
    Gabriel Metsustraat 8
    1071 EA Amsterdam
    The Netherlands
    +31 20 3054 702
    Fax +31 20 305 4700

Cor Mulders
Netherlands Institute for Cultural Heritage (ICN)
Information Centre
PO Box 76709
1070  KA  Amsterdam
The Netherlands