Subject: Storing digital images

Storing digital images

From: Robert Pitt <robertpitt>
Date: Monday, December 10, 2007
Paulina Lobaton <paulina.lobaton [at] ashmus__ox__ac__uk> writes

>The Conservation Department at the Ashmolean Museum has recently
>started taking digital images to record the treatment process of
>objects instead of the traditional slide film. We would very much
>like to hear how other conservation departments store their images
>in their computer files. If it is done by accession number, by the
>department to which the object belongs to, etc. What are the storage
>methods you find useful and drawbacks. ...

We had a need to catalogue and keyword our growing collection of
digital images of archive documents. The 'Folder' method described
by Robert MacDowell was beginnning to groan, as was my head! My
other colleagues also found some of the structure difficult. We also
intend to allow access to other team members via the network (LAN).
We therefore decided that we needed to bite the bullet and look at
commercial packages. Having evaluated several, many of which were
just too expensive, we went for Extensis Portfolio. This we have
found to be excellent. Although considerably cheaper than many
packages it is just as full of features (admittedly many of which we
do not use). It is also possible to extend the basic package to a
network version.  I can recommend that you take a look.

Robert Pitt
Conservation Assistant
Warwickshire County Record Office
Warwickshire County Council