Subject: Storing digital images

Storing digital images

From: Nicole Gilroy <nicole.gilroy>
Date: Thursday, December 6, 2007
Paulina Lobaton <paulina.lobaton [at] ashmus__ox__ac__uk> writes

>The Conservation Department at the Ashmolean Museum has recently
>started taking digital images to record the treatment process of
>objects instead of the traditional slide film. We would very much
>like to hear how other conservation departments store their images
>in their computer files. If it is done by accession number, by the
>department to which the object belongs to, etc. What are the storage
>methods you find useful and drawbacks. ...

We at the Bodleian library in Oxford are in a similar position in
having recently moved to digital imaging. I have found the TASI
(Technical Advisory Service for Images) resource very helpful with
advice on standards, filenaming conventions, metadata, image size
and delivery. See <URL:http://www.tasi.ac.uk/>. They run various
training courses and have an email helpdesk and mailing list.

Nicole Gilroy
Conservator
Bodleian Library
Oxford OX1 3BG