Subject: Shellac stains in terracotta

Shellac stains in terracotta

From: Stephen Koob <koobsp>
Date: Monday, December 10, 2007
Susan White <smwhitewhite [at] hotmail__com> writes

>I am currently treating a group of unglazed Greek terracotta vessels
>for a small museum.  Several of the pieces have been poorly restored
>using shellac as an adhesive.  Unfortunately the shellac has badly
>stained some of the pieces along the join lines.  I've used ethanol
>poultices and have had little luck in removing them.  Does anyone
>have any good ideas for safely removing old shellac stains from
>terracotta?  I've heard methanol can sometimes work, but wanted to
>check with others first before trying it.

I have had the most success in shellac removal with successive
soakings in 50:50 acetone:ethanol.  Owing to the nature of most
shellac adhesive applications, there may parts of the shellac that
have literal;y been "burned" into the clay body.  One of the reasons
shellac was so popular was the fact that it is a thermoplastic resin
and after application it could be re-heated to move pieces around
and correct mis-aligned joins. Unfortunately, the common heat source
for this was an alcohol lamp or a bunsen burner (both of which I
have seen used for this task). Thus the burned shellac, which is
then a virtually a permanent stain.

Mix the acetone/alcohol together before immersing the pottery
fragments. Immersion is necessary, for at least 1 hour, and
poulticing does not give the same result.  Brush off softened
residues, re-soak in clean acetone:ethanol.  You may need to do some
careful cleaning under a microscope using a bamboo skewer or scalpel
to remove stubborn residues. And you may still have some very dark,
intractable stains, but they should be minimal.

I have never seen these solvents damage a ceramic, nor have any
deleterious effect on slips/glazes.  Always wear gloves when
handling this solvent mixture.  It is much harsher on your hands
than either solvent by itself.

Stephen Koob
Conservator
The Corning Museum of Glass