Subject: Removing sealer from bronze--addendum

Removing sealer from bronze--addendum

From: Tushiya Neot-Semadar <tushiya>
Date: Monday, December 3, 2007
In Conservation DistList Instance: 21:28 Friday, October 26, 2007 I
wrote

>We are asked to treat archeological bronze items which were covered
>in the past by Water Base Sealer OD (with inhibitors). In order to
>proceed with cleaning them the sealer must be removed. Please advise
>us what materials can be used to remove the sealer.

With your help we have succeeded in removing the Water Based Sealer
OD from the bronze plates (in order to treat Bronze Disease). The
following was done:

Soaking in 4/100 solvent (solvent for epoxy paint) for 4-5 days,
during which the plates were scrubbed with nylon brush. It didn't
really removed the sealer, but the sealer foil was cracked. Then
additional scrubbing and use of hot water under high pressure removed
the residues of the sealer.

It must be emphasised that high pressure water may damage fragile
patina. I had to use it cautiously.

Mordi

               Distributed: Wednesday, December 12, 2007