Subject: Exhibiting textiles

Exhibiting textiles

From: Anne Lane <alane>
Date: Wednesday, November 21, 2007
We are preparing to exhibit a WWII Red Cross woman volunteer's
uniform. It is made of, I presume, cotton, in a fine blue and white
stripe. Our question, and I realize there are many variables at play
here--is, what would you consider a safe length of time to exhibit
this item on a mannequin under low light conditions, in a gallery
with at least reasonable control of temperature and humidity? Six
months? A year? Two years? And, how many lumens, foot candles,
whatever, would you consider reasonable for this item? It has been
exhibited before, for 7 months, in a glass-topped flat case, and has
otherwise been stored in darkness or near darkness for most of its
post-war life.

Anne T. Lane
Collections Manager
704-568-1774 x110
Fax: 704-566-1817

                Distributed: Wednesday, December 5, 2007