Subject: Carrying frames

Carrying frames

From: Thomas Dixon <dixon-tom>
Date: Tuesday, November 27, 2007
Tim Green <tim.green [at] tate__org__uk> writes

>Tate has an ever growing number of carrying frames for its
>collection of paintings. A carrying frame is a simple L-section
>wooden frame larger all round than the display frame and/or painting
>it protects. ...
>
>What is needed is a simple method to attach the wrapping that allows
>repeated easy removal and re-sealing.

The National Gallery of Victoria has made extensive use of handling
frames for several years.  All areas of storage and display are both
very dust free and RH controlled, but we still find need to put
protection on the front of handling frames, especially for those
travelling.

Alucobond and Dibond, aluminium sandwich materials, have been used
for some years now.  Sheets are cut to size and screwed with broad
headed self tapping, self drilling screws to the front of the
handling frames.  This material has been tested for deterioration
and offgassing and found very stable, comes in various colours, is
not static electric and comes in sheet sizes from 1250 x 2500 mm to
2000 x 3600 mm and thicknesses from 2-6 mm.  The 2 mm material is
about AUS$37/m2.  The 2 mm material can be cut on a wall mounted
Fletcher board/glass/perspex cutter and the thicker material on a
panel saw.

For further information contact Gervais Battour
<gervais.battour [at] ngv__vic__gov__au> NGV.  I plan to include photographs
and information about this process in a future publication.

Tom Dixon, former NGV Chief Conservator
Melbourne Australia

                Distributed: Wednesday, December 5, 2007