Subject: Carrying frames

Carrying frames

From: Tim Green <tim.green>
Date: Tuesday, November 20, 2007
Tate has an ever growing number of carrying frames for its
collection of paintings. A carrying frame is a simple L-section
wooden frame larger all round than the display frame and/or painting
it protects. Large heavy paintings have foam faced wooden blocks
fitted for the work to rest on.

Once wrapped and sealed, a high level of protection is provided
against dust and fluctuating RH. Unfortunately, for operational
reasons (the time it takes to wrap), a significant number of
carrying frames are now stored at Tate unwrapped. Many contain
glazed display frames but this still leaves the display frame
unprotected.

What is needed is a simple method to attach the wrapping that allows
repeated easy removal and re-sealing. At present a window has to be
cut in the wrapping or the wrapping is removed completely. We are
about to embark on a quest to find a solution to this problem. A
simple foolproof method has eluded us for more than 30 years. As
carrying frames are used so widely, the hope here is to find a
suitable method already in use. Please contact me with details if
you have either devised such a system or have learnt useful lessons
when making the attempt. We hope to post the results of this project
for all interested parties to benefit from - with credits.

Wrapping criteria include (more criteria welcome):

    Maximum time for the first fitting to be 1/2  hour (that's for
    two techs, so 1 hour labour in total)

    UKP15 materials cost or less for a 2 x 3m painting

    Durability: To withstand 6 unwrap/re-wrapping operations per
    year, and to last 20 years

Tim Green
Paintings Conservator

               Distributed: Wednesday, November 21, 2007