Subject: Fiberglass sculpture

Fiberglass sculpture

From: Valerie Tomlinson <valerie_tomlinson>
Date: Sunday, November 11, 2007
I am a former conservator presently living in a small town in the
Canadian arctic. As a former conservator, I have been asked by the
town to repair a fibreglass sculpture that was vandalized by
teenagers in time for the town's 50th anniversary celebrations in
July 2008. I have worked in outdoor sculpture conservation before,
by my experience with fibreglass repair is limited to repairing my
canoe after a somewhat adventurous whitewater trip.

The sculpture in question is a larger-than-life-size grouping of 3
figures in white fibreglass resin. The damage consists of a football
sized hole smashed in the posterior end of one figure, with rude
remarks sprayed on in black paint around the hole. The repairs are
being done on the limited budget of the small town. I am looking for
any recommendations on materials and methods that people have to
offer on the subject, although I suspect that the fibreglass resin
that is used for autobody repair is the sort of material I will end
up having available to me. If you could suggest Canadian suppliers
for materials (fibreglass, resin, mesh, coloring agents, and/or
other materials), that would be great. If you can suggest suppliers
in Edmonton, Alberta, that would be even better, as Edmonton is the
nearest and most accessible point of civilization for the Western
Arctic.

Valerie Tomlinson

               Distributed: Wednesday, November 21, 2007