Subject: Mammoth tooth

Mammoth tooth

From: Elizabeth Dunford <06036465>
Date: Monday, November 5, 2007
I am a second year conservation student and have received a very
badly deteriorated mammoth tooth to conserve. It is delaminating and
crumbling to the touch and is currently being supported by bandages
to prevent it breaking in two when it is handled. It will obviously
need consolidation and I am aware that immersion in a solution of
Paraloid (Acryloid) B72 would be effective, but I would like to know
if there are any techniques that others have used that have proved
successful?

Elizabeth Dunford
University of Lincoln
UK

               Distributed: Wednesday, November 21, 2007