Subject: Paste cooker

Paste cooker

From: William Wood <goboom>
Date: Tuesday, November 6, 2007
Mary Baughman <m.c.boffman [at] mail__utexas__edu> writes

>The sauce making stirring machine that we use for making wheat
>starch paste is no longer manufactured. We are preparing to replace
>it. On-line research has revealed some products.
>I found "SEB Le Saucier" (apparently made by Tefal, also known as
>T-fal) on-line. This looks very much like our old machine.
><URL:http://www.tefal.com/All+Products/All+Products.htm> I can't
>find a current US source for the sauce stirrer at that site.

I read your inquiry with interest. I have similar needs as I use
hide glue extensively (Ahhhhhhh--the aroma...) in making cases for
musical instruments and fine engraved firearms. It benefits from
both gentle heat and continuous stirring.

Check the Frothaulait on-line catalogue a little deeper. They have a
"Professional" model designed for use in cafes and restaurants that
is a bit pricier, but it is much, much heavier constructed and is
designed for heavy-duty use (and abuse). I believe it would give you
excellent service. It can operate either cold or with its own
internal heating element. The plastic carafe' parts have been
replaced in stainless steel.

An instrument builder recommended this model to me.

I have a question: Do you know any references I can access for
learning about techniques for applying genuine leather to wood
materials? The requirements for leather covered cases and books are
similar, but I haven't ever made a leather-covered case although I
have worked extensively with all types of leather. (I have a set of
agate tools and I hand stitch everything; easier better and actually
faster.) However, I would appreciate some tips.

Bill Wood
Wood's Gun Repair Service
Oxford AL 36203

               Distributed: Wednesday, November 21, 2007