Subject: Inpainting materials used on Antique vases

Inpainting materials used on Antique vases

From: Stephen Koob <koobsp>
Date: Monday, November 5, 2007
Juliette Jacqmin <jjacqmin [at] getty__edu> writes

>In preparation for the study and treatment of several red-figure
>Apulian vases, we are investigating the restoration materials used
>for the in-painting of ancient Greek vases in the 19th Century in
>Italy and in Germany. ...

I have identified numerous restoration in-painting materials on
Greek vases, including early water-soluble paints, presumably gum,
or animal glue binders (solubility)), shellac-based (solubility and
UV fluorescence); wax-based (solubility); oil-based (solubility).  I
have also seen gutta percha, casein and cellulose nitrate used as
adhesives, but I have never identified them as paint media.

Later applications of paint were generally soluble in acetone, and
were probably acrylic or PVA emulsion-based paints, commensurate
with the same adhesives used.

If you are interested, I still have numerous samples of the
inpainting on fills, which you are welcome to have for analysis.  I
have not looked at any of the pigments used.

Stephen Koob
Conservator
The Corning Museum of Glass
One Museum Way
Corning, NY 14830
607-974-8228
Fax: 607-974-8470

               Distributed: Wednesday, November 21, 2007