Subject: Paste cooker

Paste cooker

From: Mary Baughman <m.c.boffman>
Date: Wednesday, October 24, 2007
The sauce making stirring machine that we use for making wheat
starch paste is no longer manufactured. We are preparing to replace
it. On-line research has revealed some products.

 "Stir Chef" available from University Products
 <URL:http://www.archivalsuppliers.com/prodinfo.asp?number=023-9841>
 and Gaylord <URL:http://www.gaylordmart.com/
 adblock.asp?abid=11067&sid=B162C1D918BC4B149F70D14FF00054>.

 I read (on-line) that parts of the machine might melt at high
 temperatures

    **** Moderator's comments: The above URL has been wrapped for
    email. There should be no newline.

I found "SEB Le Saucier" (apparently made by Tefal, also known as
T-fal) on-line. This looks very much like our old machine.
<URL:http://www.tefal.com/All+Products/All+Products.htm> I can't
find a current US source for the sauce stirrer at that site.

I also found a machine that claims it can be used for sauce making:
"Froth Au Lait - Froth 'n' Sauce":
<URL:http://www.frothaulait.com/product.htm>

Does anyone have experience making paste with any of the above
machines, or an alternative? (I know, I know; stirring by hand makes
the best paste).

Mary Baughman
Book Conservator
Harry Ransom Humanities Research Center