Subject: Inpainting materials used on Antique vases

Inpainting materials used on Antique vases

From: Juliette Jacqmin <jjacqmin>
Date: Thursday, November 1, 2007
In preparation for the study and treatment of several red-figure
Apulian vases, we are investigating the restoration materials used
for the in-painting of ancient Greek vases in the 19th Century in
Italy and in Germany. We are hoping to hear from anyone who has
identified through analysis or observation the binding media and
pigments used on such objects. We would also be interested in
knowing what, if any, type of imaging was used to visualize the
original surface through overpainting with these materials.

Juliette Jacqmin
Graduate Intern
Antiquities Conservation
The Getty Villa