Subject: Wells College Book Arts Summer Institute

Wells College Book Arts Summer Institute

From: Wells Book Arts Center <bookartscenter>
Date: Wednesday, October 31, 2007
The Wells Book Arts Center is pleased to announce the faculty and
their courses for the 2008 Summer Institute. At our institute we
teach courses in letterpress printing, hand bookbinding, and
lettering arts both by hand and at the computer. We offer housing on
campus in an air conditioned dorm and meals catered by a local
gourmet bistro. Our instructors are among the top in their fields,
both here and in Europe.

The courses in our first session, July 6-12, are all at the
introductory level, and these faculty members are the first ones to
come back to Wells as second-time teachers. Peter Bain, proprietor
of the design firm Incipit, will teach "Stems and Beziers: An
Introduction to Typeface Design" using TypeTool for its simplicity
in design and production process; basic knowledge of Illustrator is
recommended. Cheryl Jacobsen's course "Basic Italic Calligraphy",
will introduce participants to this elegant and versatile hand that
is a good starting point for continued study of other hands; Cheryl
teaches calligraphy at the Iowa Center for the Book. Shanna Leino's
class will explore the balance between technical aspects and
conceptual development in her course "Making Books: the Beginning!"
Shanna teaches at the University of Georgia's arts program in
Cortona, Italy. Katherine McCanless Ruffin, the Book Arts Program
Director at Wellesley, invites you to come get inky in her course
"Letterpress Printing From A to Z".

These introductory courses are great as stand-alone courses, but
they also serve as terrific introductions to the courses in the next
three sessions.

Session 2, July 13-19, has courses for the novice and the more
advanced. Keiji Shinohara, who teaches printmaking at Wesleyan
University, is offering our first course to include Japanese
printmaking. Students in "East Meets West: Traditional Japanese
Printmaking and Western Techniques" will learn traditional wood
block carving techniques along with various printing processes, all
by hand. Dolph Smith, widely known for books that are anything but
static, will teach "Moving Parts: The Book as Kinetic Sculpture" in
which students will take advantage of all 22 possible moving parts
in a 20-page book. Ewan Clayton will join us from his native
England, where he is Professor of Design at the University of
Sunderland, to teach a course on uncials entitled "Calligraphy: The
Dynamics of Movement." Participants will create a portfolio of
pieces that explore the beauty and versatility of uncials.

In Session 3, running from July 20-26, our faculty are Inge
Bruggeman, Anna Embree and Sara Soskolne. Inge, who teaches book
arts at the Oregon College of Arts and Craft, will teach
"Considering Text and Image," in which students will use hand-set
type and various letterpress image-making techniques as they examine
the relationship between printed text and image. Anna teaches
binding in the book arts program at the University of Alabama, and
her class in "Boxed In: Creating Custom-built Enclosures" will learn
to make boxes for individual objects, items of unusual shape, or
larger collections of materials. Sara, a designer at New York's
Hoefler and Frere-Jones foundry, will teach her typography students
the joy of digital type design in "More Than the Sum of Its Parts:
Turning Letters into a Typeface."

Our fourth session, July 27-August 2 will include classes in
letterpress printing, leather binding and calligraphy. Rachel
Wiecking, Wells' fifth Victor Hammer Fellow in the Book Arts, will
teach a printing course using Wells' collection of wood type,
focusing on alternative printing techniques. The course taught by
Monqiue Lallier, Director of the American Academy of Bookbinding,
will be on leather binding in the French tradition. And Brody
Neuenschwander, renowned Bruges-based calligrapher, will teach a
course that explores text-based art using calligraphy and mixed
media.

Whether you come to explore a new area or to gain experience in an
area you already work in, we are certain that you'll learn a lot,
enjoy the camaraderie of other book artists, and revel in a week (or
more) of class with distinguished teachers in the book arts. Our
website is being redesigned to make it easier to navigate; we'll
announce its grand opening soon. In the meantime, you can contact
the Book Arts Center at 315-364-3420 or via email at
dstefanko [at] wells__edu.

We hope to see you in July,

Wells Book Arts Center
170 Main Street, Morgan Hall