Subject: Mold

Mold

From: Barbara Appelbaum <aandh>
Date: Monday, October 22, 2007
Leonora Weaver <brobury [at] hotmail__com> writes

>I am currently assisting a retail Art Gallery that had a
 burst pipe
>Thanks to prompt action there is little water>problem this week.
>damage to the modern oils and acrylics hanging on her walls but they
>have been exposed to high water vapour in the air.
>... I shall be checking the paintings every week
>while in storage but does anyone have any suggestions about what I
>can do while the items are in storage to stop any mold from
>occurring?

If the RH in the new storage space is below 50%, then it is unlikely
that any new mold will grow.  The protective value of the RH can be
lost,  however, if there are pockets of higher RH where water is
still evaporating from the places that were wet.  Fans to keep the
air moving are additional insurance against mold growth.

Barbara Appelbaum
Appelbaum and Himmelstein
444 Central Park West
New York, NY  10025