Subject: Linoleum printing blocks

Linoleum printing blocks

From: Laura Cunningham <laura.cunningham>
Date: Wednesday, October 24, 2007
I am working on a project for the display and long-term storage of
linoleum printing plates (used for linocut prints) dating from the
early 1930s. I have been able to find general information on the
composition of linoleum but I am wondering if anyone has information
on the degradation of this material.

The linoleum is brown in colour and it is off-gassing with a strong
linseed oil type odour, which is characteristic of linoleum. We are
looking into possible scavengers, such as activated charcoal, to
incorporate into the case and storage designs. I am particularly
interested in any information about this off-gassing since they will
be on display in an enclosed case for 1 year.

Laura Cunningham, Intern
Conservation Lab
Art Gallery of Ontario
317 Dundas Street West,