Subject: Archives Conservation Discussion Group

Archives Conservation Discussion Group

From: Linda Blaser <linda.blaser>
Date: Wednesday, October 24, 2007
AIC 2008
Archives Discussion Group
Sharing Information about Environmental Monitoring

Linda Blaser and Susan Peckham, Co-Chairs

Abstract:

Environmental conditions in archives, museums, and libraries can
greatly affect long term preservation.  As conservators we are often
the ones charged with monitoring the environment in storage areas,
exhibition areas, processing areas, and research rooms--in other
words wherever original artifacts may be present. The Archives
Discussion Group moderators plan to bring together a group of
conservators who use various types of monitoring equipment to
discuss the pros and cons of the equipment in their respective
institutions (archives, museums, and libraries will be represented),
and to solicit questions and issues from discussion group attendees.

We hope to include several environmental monitoring systems such as
ACR Dataloggers and SmartReader Software, Hanwell, Hobo, Boxcar, PEM
and Climate Notebook, etc. Issues addressed include: reports
provided by the monitoring systems, how this information influences
environmental decision making, how often monitoring equipment needs
to be recalibrated, how user friendly is the system, is the system
web-based or a stand alone database, how the system send alerts when
a problem is detected, how this information be shared with other
staff members such as the building engineers and collection
managers, and if the institution's security system affects the
environmental monitoring system choice or installation.

We look forward to collaborating with you about environmental
monitoring and welcome your questions and comments.  Send questions
and comments to: Linda Blaser <linda.blaser [at] nara__gov> or Susan
Peckham <spec [at] loc__gov>.

                 Distributed: Friday, October 26, 2007