Subject: Footwear coverings

Footwear coverings

From: Katharine A. Untch <katy>
Date: Tuesday, October 23, 2007
Katharine A. Untch <katy [at] argsf__com> writes

>An historic site recently asked me "who really uses those?" when
>referring to footwear coverings ("booties") sometimes used for
>visitors when touring historic buildings. So, I thought we might try
>finding out.  If you know of any sites using these protective foot
>coverings, could you let me know which sites?

Thank you to everyone who responded to my footwear question. Because
several individuals indicated an interest in the responses, I'm
including the ad hoc compilation of what I received both on and off
list.

    Abbey Library of St Gallen, Switzerland

    Burger's Museum, and other Helsinki City Museums

    Gropious House

    Himeji castle, Japan

    Iolani Palace in Honolulu

    Jackson Pollock's studio in Long Island

    Mirikami Gardens in Florida (between Ft. Lauderdale and West
    Palm Beach)

    Museum of Water in Hungary to protect a floor map

    Neues Palais, Potsdam, Germany

    NYC gallery with carpet where people were asked to removed shoes

    Ritveld Schroder House, Utrecht, Holland

    Shofosu, Japanese House and Garden, Fairmont Park, Philadelphia,
    Pennsylvania

    Solar Boat of Pharaoh Khufu at the Giza Plateau

    Spencer-Peirce-Little Farm, New Hampshire

    State Library of Pennsylvania, construction workers wearing
    booties at end of "clean room" construction with specifications
    for future vault users to wear booties and hair nets.

    Taliesin, Spring Green, Wisconsin

    Temples in Japan

    Villa La Pietra, Florence

    Zimmerman House (Frank Lloyd Wright), Currier Gallery of Art,

    Manchester, NH

Katharine Untch

                 Distributed: Friday, October 26, 2007